17.12.06

masks mandatory

A night in Venice was the theme for this year's holiday masquerade held by Marc Jacobs. His annual extravaganzas are never exactly average office parties, but the Carnival theme seemed to inspire particularly wild antics- as one guest put it, "the sexuality was off the chains". Hmm. I would love to have been a fly on the wall, particularly as the doors were bolted shut a quarter of an hour after guests were ushered in.

Around age 14, my favourite style icon was 16th century Venetian courtesan Veronica Franco (yes, I'm serious- homeschooling has many benefits!). Had I been a lucky employee in attendance at MJ's bash, Signora Franco certainly would have been my costume muse, however even one of her famed gowns (silk, lavish with jewels and worn with colourful stockings) may not have passed muster among the very creatively clad guests. A quick perusal of party photos yields:

Dandy courtiers...

Un Oiseau...

A crystal chandelier...

And the host in full pigeon finery...


I'd like to know where those "chains" came in. Aren't you curious?

3 comments:

Q said...

Marc was my hero before, but now I worship him! Long live MJ.

a said...

would you mind if i used those photos on a post?
if not then it's cool

la femme said...

julie: I'd forgotten that you were homeschooled. I'm familiar with Anna Comena too :)

q: ha- what was your opinion of the pigeon costume?

alanna: of course not! I look forward to seeing your entry...